25 July 2010

Confection of the Future, now in the present

How many of you intrepid readers guessed "fruit sauce"? You're right! Fruit sauce... slow-cooked plums (in one casserole) and slow-cooked blackberries (in another casserole), overnight in the Aga and then whirred to a pulp (for the plums) and strained to remove seeds (for the berries)... then stirred together in some inexact proportion, et voila! Fruit sauce.

Besides the fruit itself, the sauce contains a little bit of caster ("baker's") sugar, a little bit of blackcurrant jelly -- I don't go for über-sweet sauce because it's going to end up spilled all over much sweeter stuff anyway, so let's preserve the natural tartness.

In the pix below you can see just the sort of sweet stuff it's going to be spilled over: cake and ice cream (there ought to be a law). I made the humble ginger-citron-chocolate chip-sour cream cake yesterday -- this is a tremendously obliging cake, in fact I think the mixer and the Aga know how to do it themselves by now because I have made it so many times; and if you want to know more about it you must write to me, because I'm embarrassed to say how simple it is for then you will know exactly how basic my baking skills are.


I think this fruit sauce is a very happy color! Be happy, eat cake, and watch for the next mysterious confection to come down the pike...
xo, Trix {very full now after eating the photo props, well yeah Dustin helped... he's full now too}

No comments:

Post a Comment